CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS, AND PROPRIETORS OF COMMON LANDS
NEW HAMPSHIRE BUSINESS CORPORATION ACT
293-A:13.02 Right to Appraisal.
(a) A shareholder is entitled to appraisal rights, and to obtain payment of the fair value of that shareholder's shares, in the event of any of the following corporate actions:
(1) consummation of a merger to which the corporation is a party (i) if shareholder approval is required for the merger by RSA 293-A:11.04, except that appraisal rights shall not be available to any shareholder of the corporation with respect to shares of any class or series that remain outstanding after consummation of the merger, or (ii) if the corporation is a subsidiary and the merger is governed by RSA 293-A:11.05;
(2) consummation of a share exchange to which the corporation is a party as the corporation whose shares will be acquired, except that appraisal rights shall not be available to any shareholder of the corporation with respect to any class or series of shares of the corporation that is not exchanged;
(3) consummation of a disposition of assets pursuant to RSA 293-A:12.02, except that appraisal rights shall not be available to any shareholder of the corporation with respect to shares of any class or series if (i) under the terms of the corporate action approved by the shareholders there is to be distributed to shareholders in cash its net assets, in excess of a reasonable amount reserved to meet claims of the type described in RSA 293-A:14.06 and RSA 293-A:14.07, (A) within one year after the shareholders' approval of the action and (B) in accordance with their respective interests determined at the time of distribution, and (ii) the disposition of assets is not an interested transaction;
(4) an amendment of the articles of incorporation with respect to a class or series of shares that reduces the number of shares of a class or series owned by the shareholder to a fraction of a share if the corporation has the obligation or right to repurchase the fractional share so created;
(5) any other amendment to the articles of incorporation, or any other merger, share exchange or disposition of assets, to the extent provided by the articles of incorporation, bylaws, or a resolution of the board of directors;
(6) consummation of a domestication if the shareholder does not receive shares in the foreign corporation resulting from the domestication that have terms as favorable to the shareholder in all material respects, and represent at least the same percentage interest of the total voting rights of the outstanding shares of the corporation, as the shares held by the shareholder before the domestication; or
(7) consummation of a conversion of the corporation to an unincorporated entity pursuant to RSA 293-A:9.50 through RSA 293-A:9.56.
(b) Notwithstanding RSA 293-A:13.02(a), the availability of appraisal rights under RSA 293-A:13.02(a)(1), (2), (3), (4), (6), and (7) shall be limited in accordance with the following provisions:
(1) Appraisal rights shall not be available for the holders of shares of any class or series of shares which is:
(i) a covered security under section 18(b)(1)(A) or (B) of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended; or
(ii) traded in an organized market and has at least 1,000 shareholders and a market value of at least $20 million (exclusive of the value of such shares held by the corporation's subsidiaries, senior executives, directors and beneficial shareholders owning more than 10 percent of such shares); or
(iii) issued by an open end management investment company registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission under the Investment Company Act of 1940 and may be redeemed at the option of the holder at net asset value.
(2) The applicability of RSA 293-A:13.02(b)(1) shall be determined as of:
(i) the record date fixed to determine the shareholders entitled to receive notice of the meeting of shareholders to act upon the corporate action requiring appraisal rights; or
(ii) the day before the effective date of such corporate action if there is no meeting of shareholders.
(3) RSA 293-A:13.02(b)(1) shall not be applicable and appraisal rights shall be available pursuant to RSA 293-A:13.02(a) for the holders of any class or series of shares (i) who are required by the terms of the corporate action requiring appraisal rights to accept for such shares anything other than cash or shares of any class or any series of shares of any corporation, or any other proprietary interest of any other entity, that satisfies the standards set forth in RSA 293-A:13.02(b)(1) at the time the corporate action becomes effective, or (ii) in the case of the consummation of a disposition of assets pursuant to RSA 293-A:12.02, unless such cash, shares or proprietary interests are, under the terms of the corporate action approved by the shareholders, to be distributed to the shareholders, as part of a distribution to shareholders of the net assets of the corporation in excess of a reasonable amount to meet claims of the type described in RSA 293-A:14.06 and RSA 293-A:14.07, (A) within one year after the shareholders' approval of the action, and (B) in accordance with their respective interests determined at the time of the distribution.
(4) RSA 293-A:13.02(b)(1) shall not be applicable and appraisal rights shall be available pursuant to RSA 293-A:13.02(a) for the holders of any class or series of shares where the corporate action is an interested transaction.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of RSA 293-A:13.02, the articles of incorporation as originally filed or any amendment thereto may limit or eliminate appraisal rights for any class or series of preferred shares, except that (i) no such limitation or elimination shall be effective if the class or series does not have the right to vote separately as a voting group (alone or as part of a group) on the action or if the action is a conversion to an unincorporated entity under RSA 293-A:9.50 through RSA 293-A:9.56, or a merger having a similar effect, and (ii) any such limitation or elimination contained in an amendment to the articles of incorporation that limits or eliminates appraisal rights for any of such shares that are outstanding immediately prior to the effective date of such amendment or that the corporation is or may be required to issue or sell thereafter pursuant to any conversion, exchange or other right existing immediately before the effective date of such amendment shall not apply to any corporate action that becomes effective within one year of that date if such action would otherwise afford appraisal rights.
Source. 2013, 142:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2014.