Housing Commissions

Section 674:44-i

    674:44-i Powers. –
I. Housing commissions shall have authority to:
(a) Conduct a housing needs assessment, which may be done in cooperation with the regional housing needs assessment compiled by the regional planning commission under RSA 36:47, II.
(b) Conduct activities to recognize, promote, enhance, and encourage the development of housing, particularly affordable and workforce housing.
(c) Assist the planning board, as requested, in the development and review of those sections of the master plan which address housing, and those sections of the zoning ordinance, subdivision regulations, and site plan regulations that address housing or otherwise have the potential to affect the cost or availability of housing.
(d) Advise, upon request, local agencies and other local boards in their review of requests on matters affecting or potentially affecting housing resources.
(e) Coordinate activities with appropriate service organizations and nonprofit groups.
(f) Publicize and report its activities.
(g) Hire consultants and contractors.
(h) Receive gifts of money and property, both real and personal, in the name of the city or town, to assist in carrying out the purpose of this section.
(i) Hold meetings and hearings necessary to carry out its duties.
II. The commission may acquire real property, in the name of the town or city, subject to the approval of the local governing body, by gift, purchase, grant, bequest, devise, lease, development rights, covenant, or other contractual right, including conveyances with conditions, limitations, or reversions, as may be necessary to maintain, improve, protect, limit the future use of, or otherwise conserve and properly use the affordable housing of the city or town, and shall manage and control the same; provided, however, that the city, town, or commission shall not have the right to condemn property for these purposes. The commission shall also have the right to dispose of property so acquired, subject to the approval of the local governing body. Prior to the use of such funds for the purchase of any interest in real property, the housing commission shall hold a public hearing with notice in accordance with RSA 675:7.

Source. 2008, 391:10, eff. Sept. 15, 2008.